SAIEA aims to significantly raise the profile, quality and effectiveness of environmental assessments in southern Africa.
The Southern African Institute for Environmental Assessment is a non-profit environmental trust, whose mission is to support sustainable development in southern Africa through promoting the effective and efficient use of environmental assessment as a planning tool.
To provide strategic support to SADC, governments, local authorities, development agencies, non-governmental organisations and private sector clients, who are increasingly aware of the need to incorporate environmental assessment as an integral part of their planning.
SAIEA provides the following services:
- guiding, monitoring and reviewing environmental assessment studies;
- needs-based information and networking;
- monitoring the implementation of environmental assessments and the impact of mitigation measures;
- basic and advanced training in environmental assessment; and
- strategic research (e.g. environmental assessment effectiveness studies, sustainable development planning, strategic environmental assessments, etc.).